Acas aims to prevent disputes before they happen, through training and advice. When they cannot be avoided, we do all we can to resolve them.
An Acas conciliator helps to try and resolve a dispute before it gets to an employment tribunal.
We have conciliators for cases involving a single employee, known as early conciliation.
We also have conciliators for cases involving a group of employees, known as collective conciliation.
Conciliator skills and qualities
Conciliation is challenging and interesting work.
Although the conciliation role is unique to Acas, we hire people from a wide range of backgrounds.
To be a conciliator, you need to be able to demonstrate the following skills and qualities:
- being interested in resolving workplace disputes
- being proactive
- managing a large and varied workload
- communicating and influencing effectively, using clear, concise and appropriate language
You also need to:
- have good problem-solving skills
- have good analytical skills
- identify key points, strengths and weaknesses of a case
- build relationships while remaining impartial
- work collaboratively with other Acas teams
- encourage improvement of employment relations
- be willing to continually develop your skills and knowledge
- promote Acas advice and guidance
- raise awareness of how good practice can improve workplace relationships
A key part of the role is:
- identifying and summarising key points from often complex information
- explaining and discussing complex concepts, to people who might not have much knowledge of employment law
Conciliation mainly takes place by telephone, with face-to-face contact when appropriate.
How we support new conciliators
We provide training for new conciliators. This includes training in employment law and communication skills.
We'll continue to support you with developing your skills after this training is complete. For example, we provide further resources and run training workshops.
Applying to be a conciliator
You can find and apply for conciliator vacancies on Civil Service Jobs.