Step 3: Tell employees
As soon as possible, you should tell ('inform') your employees that you're considering making redundancies.
You should hold a meeting with all employees affected, not just those at risk of redundancy, where you explain:
- the risk of redundancy and the reason why it may be necessary
- how many redundancies you're considering
- what happens next, including how everyone will be consulted
You should encourage employees to ask questions. The meeting can be held online if people are working remotely.
For employees who are at risk of redundancy, you should also confirm in writing:
- that they're at risk of redundancy
- whether they have other options, such as voluntary redundancy or redeployment
- the outline of your consultation plans
You should continue to keep employees informed throughout the redundancy process.