Sexual harassment

Witnessing sexual harassment

If you think you've seen someone else being sexually harassed at work, you can:

  • give evidence as a witness
  • make a sexual harassment complaint yourself

You must not be victimised if you make a complaint or act as a witness. This means you must not be:

  • stopped from giving evidence
  • treated unfairly because you've made a complaint or given evidence

Making a complaint

It can be easier to start by talking with your employer or someone senior at work to try and resolve the problem.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this or the issue is particularly serious, you can raise a formal grievance.

It's a good idea to make notes before you talk to someone, especially if talking about the experience is particularly distressing.

You can also look at your workplace's policy on discrimination and harassment, if there is one. This should say how your employer handles discrimination and harassment complaints.

If the problem is not resolved, you can consider making a claim to an employment tribunal.

Being a witness

You might be asked to give evidence at a grievance hearing.

If you're uncomfortable about doing this, the person investigating should talk to you and try to resolve any concerns you have.

Find out more about being a witness.