Longer-term changes to working arrangements
Employers and employees may have found benefits working from home, such as:
- increased productivity
- a healthier work-life balance
- improved job satisfaction
Some employees may wish to continue to work from home for some or all of the week after their workplaces fully reopen. They may also want to work flexibly in other ways.
Employees can make an informal request for flexible working, or if they’re eligible, a formal request.
Employers and managers should:
- encourage and be open to conversations around all flexible working arrangements
- carefully consider which jobs can be done flexibly and not make assumptions
- work with the employee to find a solution that works for both, where possible
Find out more about:
- making a formal flexible working request
- responding to a flexible working request
- long-term homeworking
When making a decision on a formal flexible working request, employers must follow the Acas Code of Practice on flexible working requests.
Tailored support for employers
As an employer, you can get tailored support from Acas if you’re facing any challenges setting up or managing working from home.