Acas is a non-departmental public body of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). Most of our funding is provided by BEIS.
We're governed by an independent council. This means that we can provide an impartial service.
The Acas Council
The Acas Council governs our strategic direction, policies and priorities. It makes sure that we work effectively to meet our objectives and targets.
Council members are subject matter experts (employer, trade union and independent members), appointed by the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
The Chair of the Acas Council is Clare Chapman, a Low Pay Commissioner and former Director General of the NHS workforce.
Our council members are:
- Neil Carberry, Chief Executive of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation
- Mike Clancy, General Secretary and Chief Executive of Prospect
- Anne Davies, Dean of the Oxford Faculty of Law and Professor of Law and Public Policy
- Mike Gooddie, Director of Human Resources for the Canal & River Trust
- Jayne Haines, Senior Vice President of Talent, Learning and Organisation Development at GlaxoSmithKline
- Sally Hunt, former General Secretary of the University and College Union
- Susan Jordan, former Vice President of HR at Retail UK and Ireland
- Christina McAnea, Assistant General Secretary at Unison
- Jane McNeill QC, member and former Head of Old Square Chambers
- Paul Nowak, Deputy General Secretary of the Trades Union Congress
- Ben Summerskill, Director of the Criminal Justice Alliance
The Acas Council is supported by 2 sub-committees:
- the Audit and Risk and Assurance Committee
- the Remuneration Committee
The Audit and Risk and Assurance Committee
The Audit and Risk and Assurance Committee regularly monitors risk management in Acas.
The Chair of the committee is Mike Gooddie, Acas Council member.
Committee members are:
- Anne Beasley, Independent Financial Expert
- Susan Clews, Acas Chief Executive, Accounting Officer
- Sally Hunt, Acas Council member
- Rob Mackintosh, Director of Finance, Estates and Procurement, Acas
- Ben Summerskill, Acas Council member
- Assistant Director of Finance, Acas
- BEIS Labour Markets representative
- Government Internal Audit Agency representative
The Remuneration Committee
The Remuneration Committee reviews the performance of senior civil servants and is responsible for their pay and rewards, including any awards and bonuses.
The Chair of the committee is Clare Chapman, Acas Council Chair.
Committee members are:
- Anne Davis, Acas Council member
- Mike Goodie, Acas Council member
- Paul Novak, Acas Council member
- Head of Pay, Rewards and Workforce Planning, Acas
The Executive Board works with the Acas Council to make sure we meet our targets. The board is responsible for:
- reviewing our performance and delivery
- making sure that we’re managed effectively
- setting our strategy
Our Executive Board members are:
- Susan Clews, Chief Executive Officer, Accounting Officer
- Tony Cooper, Chief Operations Officer
- Dan Ellis, Director of People
- Rob Mackintosh, Director of Finance, Estates and Procurement
- Catherine Nowicki, Director of Strategic Planning, Performance and Change (standing attendee)
- James Vincent, Director of Digital, Data and Technology
- Ian Wood, Director of Strategy
We also have 3 sub-boards that report to the Executive Board. These are:
- Customer Service Board – responsible for delivering services, chaired by Ian Wood
- Planning, Performance and Change Board – responsible for delivering change projects, chaired by Catherine Nowicki
- Technical Design and Delivery Board – responsible for delivering technical solutions, chaired by James Vincent
If you have any questions about the Acas Council or Executive Board, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Council meeting minutes
To request a copy of summary minutes of Acas Council meetings, email email@example.com.