Early conciliation

Representing someone

You do not have to be experienced to represent someone in a claim to an employment tribunal or in talks to get an agreement. You can be a friend, someone they work with or a relative doing it for the first time. 

As a representative you’ll talk to the conciliator directly. You’ll need to:

  • understand what the person you represent wants to get out of talks
  • keep in contact with them to update them on your progress

You can agree a settlement on behalf of the person you’re representing. This will be legally binding, which means they must keep to what’s been agreed.  

You’ll need to make sure they’re happy with the agreement before you accept it on their behalf.

Last reviewed