If you believe your employment status should be different
To help work out your employment status, check if:
- you have an employment contract or written terms (a 'written statement of employment particulars')
- your situation matches with one of the types of employment status
You can also think about the ways you carry out your day-to-day work and what your entitlements are.
Some things are more important than others, for example:
- whether you have a uniform or use your own tools and equipment
- who tells you what to do or how to do your work
- whether you’re on the payroll and get payslips
- whether you still get paid if you take time off
- whether you go to the same place to work each day
You can then make a list of these points and have an informal chat with your employer or send them in an email.
If you’re still not sure or you and your employer do not agree on your employment status, you can call the Acas helpline. We can talk through your options and the law, but cannot give an opinion on your employment status.