Acas support for employers – employment contract changes
We offer a range of support services for employers to help you understand the law and good practice on changing employment contracts. These include:
- Acas services to help resolve disagreements
- training and tailored support for your organisation
Help with resolving disagreements
We can help you resolve disagreements about employment contract changes through:
- Acas helpline advice
- early conciliation
- collective conciliation
You can contact our helpline if you have any questions about:
- changing employment contracts
- your options if there's a disagreement
We can explain the law and talk you through your options, but we cannot give you legal advice.
If an employee is considering making a claim to an employment tribunal, you can request early conciliation.
This is when we talk impartially to both you and the employee about your disagreement. It gives you both the chance to come to an agreement without it going to an employment tribunal.
If you’re proposing changes to a group of employees' contracts and have consulted with trade union representatives but cannot agree, you can request collective conciliation.
Collective conciliation can also help if there's a risk of industrial action.
Some collective agreements between an employer and a trade union might say that disagreements should be referred to Acas at a certain stage. You can still request collective conciliation even if it's not part of a collective agreement.
Acas can also help you look at ways to help prevent future disagreements. For example, by helping you develop a 'partnership agreement' with a trade union to help you to work together in the future.
If you have not been able to reach agreement, you can request arbitration through Acas. This is when an independent arbitrator makes a decision on the disagreement to settle it.
We offer a range of training for employers and managers to help you understand the law and good practice on consultation and changing employment contracts.
Our training courses include:
- contracts of employment – including changing terms and conditions
- redundancy and restructuring
- working with trade unions
- free online training – including employment contracts and change management
Tailored support for your organisation
Our advisers can help you work together with employees and employee representatives to:
- consult and negotiate effectively
- consider and agree contract changes
- get trade union recognition
- set up non-union employee representative forums