We offer a range of support services to help employers, employees and their representatives understand the law and good practice on changing employment contracts. These include:
- Acas services to help resolve disagreements
- training and tailored support for your organisation
Help with resolving disagreements
We can help to resolve disagreements about employment contract changes through:
- Acas helpline advice
- early conciliation
- collective conciliation
- collective arbitration
You can contact our helpline if you have any questions about:
- changing employment contracts
- your options if there's a disagreement
If an employee is considering making a claim to an employment tribunal, either they or their employer can request early conciliation.
Early conciliation is when we talk impartially to both the employer and the employee about the disagreement. It gives both sides the chance to come to an agreement without it going to an employment tribunal.
Collective conciliation is when we help resolve disagreements between an employer and a group of employees, usually when they are represented by a trade union.
Collective conciliation can be requested by employers or employee representatives.
Collective conciliation can help if there's a risk of industrial action.
Some collective agreements between an employer and a trade union might say that disagreements should be referred to Acas at a certain stage. Collective conciliation can still be requested even if it's not part of a collective agreement.
Acas can also help by looking at ways to help prevent future disagreements. For example, by helping to develop a 'partnership agreement' with a trade union to help everyone work together in the future.
Arbitration is when a third party makes a decision on a dispute to resolve it.
Collective arbitration can help resolve a dispute between an employer and a group of employees if collective conciliation does not work.
We offer training for employers and managers on the law and good practice on consultation and changing employment contracts.
Our training courses include:
- contracts of employment – including changing terms and conditions
- redundancy and restructuring
- free online training – including employment contracts and change management
- working with trade unions – courses will be added soon
Tailored support for your organisation
Our advisers can help employers, employees and their representatives work together to:
- consult and negotiate effectively
- consider and agree contract changes
- get trade union recognition
- set up non-union employee representative forums