Returning to work after being off sick with COVID-19
When someone has been off sick with coronavirus (COVID-19) and is ready to go back to work, they should talk with their employer as early as possible.
They could discuss:
- how and when they’ll return, or if they need a phased return
- any concerns they have about returning to work
- how the employer is keeping the workplace safe
- if an occupational health assessment could help
The effects of COVID-19 are still being understood and the person might experience long COVID. People with long COVID might need ongoing support and further sick leave after they’ve returned to work.
If other staff have concerns
Other staff might be worried about being exposed to the virus if someone who’s had COVID-19 or has long COVID comes back to the workplace.
The employer should:
- reassure staff by making clear how they’re keeping the workplace safe
- keep communication open but check first with the person who’s had COVID-19 about any details they want kept confidential
- encourage an inclusive working environment