A template letter to make a flexible working request. Free to use.
You can copy and paste the template text into an email or document.
Dear [name of your employer / HR manager / line manager],
I am writing to make a statutory flexible working request.
[Either:] I have not made any previous flexible working requests.
[Or:] I have previously made [a flexible working request / flexible working requests] on [give dates].
My current working pattern is [give details].
[Give details of the change you would like to make to your working pattern. For example:
- reducing hours from 35 to 30 per week
- working from home 2 days per week
- starting at 7:30am and finishing at 3:30pm, instead of working from 9am to 5pm]
The reason I want this change is [give details].
I would like this change to start from [date].
To deal with any effects the change could have on my work or the organisation, I suggest [give details of how you and your employer could deal with any effects. For example:
- job sharing
- being available to answer calls in emergencies].
[Optional: Give details of any benefits the change could have to your work, organisation or people you work with. For example:
- saving costs
- covering shifts that others do not want to do].
I look forward to your reply.
Download this template
- Download this template in Microsoft Word format (DOCX, 24KB)
- Download this template in Open Document format (ODT, 9KB)
If you need the template in a different format, email firstname.lastname@example.org.