Advisory booklet - Front line managers
Research has shown that it is managers at the first tier of line management who have the greatest influence on the way people behave and their attitude to their organisation. This behaviour can be critical to business success.
This group of employees has often been overlooked in recent years.
This guide will ask:
- Who are front line managers?
- Why are they so important?
- What problems do they face and what do they need?
- How can you help them become more effective?
This is a practical guide aimed at helping senior managers get the best out of their front line managers. Our key messages are that front line managers need to be:
- Recruited and selected to ensure they have the right 'people' qualities to motivate staff and deal with difficult problems
- Trained so that they can carry out their duties effectively and develop their own careers
- Given a balanced workload that recognises the need to allocate time for performance management duties
- Coached by senior managers so that they openly discuss problems and actively participate in decision-making.
The booklet is available to download from the link below. Alternatively, hard copies are available to order from our publications section of the site.
Note: We have discontinued our booklet entitled 'Supervision'. The Front line managers booklet is intended to provide new guidance to help senior managers get the best out of their front line mangers.
Did you know?
Acas run practical training courses to equip managers, supervisors and HR professionals with the necessary skills to deal with employment relations issues and to create more productive workplace environments.
Click to view related Acas training and course dates in your area for:
Online customer contact form - let us know how we can help.