Building Productivity in the UK
The UK workforce produces less per hour than our main economic competitors. Germany, France and the US produce much more than workers in the UK. A range of solutions have been offered by Government, business and others, including training and investment in infrastructure. But these can only yield lasting improvements if workplaces are operating at their best.
The way workplaces are organised, the part played by managers and leaders, and the role and involvement of employees can help deliver better outcomes for individuals, organisations and the economy.
Acas Productivity tool
Take the Acas self-diagnosis Productivity Tool test to understand your organisation's strengths and weaknesses, and to help you identify simple practical steps you can take to get the best out of your staff. The tool will produce a report with links to relevant Acas guidance and services.
Productivity in the workplace
Watch our video to gain some insight from industry experts and leaders on how you can make changes in your workplace.
Acas report: Building productivity in the UK
This report aims to stimulate debate amongst those with an interest in UK productivity. It offers Acas' insights into the features that can make a difference to workplace effectiveness. It is based on discussions with a range of employers, employees, their representatives, and other thought leaders, as well as Acas' own extensive experience of providing practical solutions to tackling workplace improvement.
Acas case studies on productivity
We have developed a series of case studies based on independent analysis of organisations that have approached Acas to improve workplace effectiveness. These studies provide valuable insights on how employers deal with pressing business challenges and in particular how they used Acas products and services to maximise workplace productivity within their organisation.
- How to change a workplace culture: a case study in power of reflective learning [176kb]
- Keeping a check on conflict: a case study in improving people management systems [157kb]
- Dealing with staff turnover - a case study on getting and keeping the right people [160kb]
Current policy discussion papers on productivity
- The UK Productivity Puzzle - is employment relations the missing piece? [255kb]
- Rediscovering human potential – a response to Keith Sisson’s paper on the ‘UK productivity problem’ [127kb]
- The productivity challenge - and what the next government should do about it: Ian Brinkley [257kb]
Read what Acas and its partners have to say on the productivity debate.
- Sir Brendan Barber: Pay and productivity
- Gill Dix: Standing up to the productivity challenge
- Sir Brendan Barber: 'Going walkabout'