Website URL : http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx/images/acas/helplineonline/media/pdf/0/m/media/pdf/8/c/index.aspx?articleid=4188
Managing a complaint at work: A step-by-step guide
Managing a complaint at work - Step 4
- When coming to a decision, consider how actions to resolve a grievance might affect others you employ.
- When you've reached a decision, write to the employee, telling them:
- the action which will be taken to resolve the grievance
- and how to appeal if they are unhappy with the outcome
- the reasons, carefully explained, if the grievance has not been upheld.
- Monitor action taken to check it has dealt with the grievance effectively and review the matter if necessary.
- If the grievance and outcome bring to light a widespread issue:
- address the matter quickly
- set about changing any company policies, procedures or rules that are affected
- involve employees and their representatives in developing those changes
- once the changes are agreed, tell everyone what they are and where the information can be found
- monitor the changes to check they are producing the desired effect.