Advisory booklet - How to manage performance
The aim of managing performance is to continuously improve the performance of individuals and that of the organisation. It involves making sure that the performance of employees contributes to the goals of their teams and the business as a whole.
Good performance management helps everyone in the organisation to know:
- what the business is trying to achieve
- their role in helping the business achieve its goals
- the skill and competencies they need to fulfil their role
- the standards of performance required
- how they can develop their performance and contribute to development of the organisation
- how they are doing
- when there are performance problems and what to do about them.
If employees are engaged in their work they are more likely to be doing their best for your organisation. An engaged employee is someone who:
- takes pride in their job and shows loyalty towards their line manager, team or organisation
- goes the extra mile - particularly in areas like customer service, or where employees need to be creative, responsive or adaptable.
Download the Advisory booklet - How to manage performance [1Mb]
See also Performance management.
Acas Productivity tool
Take the Acas self-diagnosis Productivity Tool test to understand your organisation's strengths and weaknesses, and to help you identify simple practical steps you can take to get the best out of your staff. The tool will produce a report with links to relevant Acas help and tools.