Call our Helpline on 08457 47 47 47 for free and confidential advice
Website URL : http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1650
Terminating employment - notice periods and pay
- Both the employee and employer are normally entitled to a minimum period of notice on termination of employment.
- Notice periods should be one of the main terms and conditions of employment and included in the employee's written statement.
- It's always best to write out any form of notice to make it clear it is the termination of employment.
- In most cases employees should be paid their normal pay during the notice period.
- Normal notice applies when employment is being terminated due to redundancy.
An employment contract can be terminated at any time by either party, it could be a resignation or dismissal, redundancy or retirement. For a notice to be effective it should be in writing and specify the date of termination.