Website URL : http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1580
In-depth case studies that measure the impact and explore user perceptions of the services Acas provides.
Acas and the London 2012 Games
- Keeping Employment Relations on track [578kb] - a case study exploring the role of Acas Collective Conciliation in disputes which arose on the London Underground during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Case study examples of how Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) make use of Acas services
- Blue Earth Foods [176kb] - Acas Workplace Training helps an SME deal with the challenges associated with rapid growth
- Duresta [190kb] - an SME report on the impact of Acas Workplace Training and policy advice on developing good management practice
Acas Open Access training - a series of five papers that describe the impacts of Acas' Open Access training
- Cheswold Park Hospital [175kb] - staff report on the impact of attending Open Access sessions covering investigation skills and equality
- Colchester English Study Centre [186kb] - two staff members report their experiences of the 'Employment Law' and 'Equality and Diversity' courses
- Newcastle Futures [184kb] - staff report on the impact of attending Open Access training on 'Equality and Diversity', 'Redundancy' and 'Disciplinary and Grievances'
- QDP Services [149kb] - staff give their view on the impact of the Open Access sessions addressing absenteeism
- Tamar Bridge and Torpoint Ferries Joint Committee [165kb] - staff attended 'Discipline and Grievances' and 'Conducting Investigations' workshops and give their views on the impact
'Innovative Workplaces' - a series of eight case studies from an in-depth support initiative for organisations seeking to improve performance
- Brush Electrical Machines - the Innovative Workplaces Project helps a manufacturer of generators with 800 employees [60kb]
- Caterpillar Logistics - the Innovative Workplaces Project helps a provider of warehousing and distribution with 600 employees [73kb]
- Liquid Control - the Innovative Workplaces Project helps a machinery manufacturer with 20 employees [110kb]
- NHS East Midlands SHA - the Innovative Workplaces Project helps a Strategic Health Authority with 350 employees [109kb]
- Northampton College - the Innovative Workplaces Project helps a further and higher education college with 1,000 employees [66kb]
- Pendragon Contracts and National Fleet Solutions - the Innovative Workplaces Project helps an automotive organisation with 100 employees [74kb]
- The Health Store - the Innovative Workplaces Project helps a co-operative health food wholesale and distribution centre with 100 employees [67kb]
- Thorpe Kilworth - the Innovative Workplaces Project helps a furniture manufacturer with 100 employees [73kb]
Other recent case studies
- Repairing relationships between the trade unions and the executive and non-executive teams in a public sector organisation [70kb] - Acas-facilitated sessions helped to improve an adversarial industrial relations climate in a public sector organisation
- Milford Haven Port Authority [263kb] - Acas collective conciliation in a dispute over pensions in one of the UKs main energy ports
- Chichester College: reducing stress in the workplace [116kb] - Acas helped develop an action plan at a further education college that was experiencing problems with stress
- Wirral University Teaching Hospital: implementing a new shift system [60kb] - Acas facilitated a partnership approach to tackling implementation of a new shift work arrangements at an NHS Foundation Trust
- Equipment manufacturing organisation: Seeking the views of employees to take the business forward [79kb] - Acas helped a global manufacturer to engage with its employees in order to identify where improvements in employment relations could be made
- Engineering and manufacturing: Building relationships between trade union officers and the Human Resource team [78kb] - Acas joint workshops brought the trade unions and the HR team together at a global manufacturing organisation
- Acas helps to improve working relations at a Midlands College [106kb] - Acas workshops helped improve team relationships and avoid formal grievance procedures at a further education college
- Acas workshops at Scottish voluntary organisation working with young people [70kb] - Acas workshops helped a divided team at a charitable organisation to establish better working relationships following a series of grievances
- Redundancy training: aiding effective consultation over redundancies at Vodafone, in a recessionary climate. [90kb] - Acas training helped Vodafone to establish a consultation forum to support a redundancy process
- Redundancy training: aiding effective consultation over redundancies at a global chemicals manufacturer [556kb] - Acas training helped a major chemicals manufacturer to undertake effective employee consultation during a programme of redundancy
- Redundancy training: aiding effective consultation over redundancies at a leading provider of multimedia technology. [136kb] - Acas assisted a medium sized leading provider of multimedia technology to ensure effective employee consultation during a programme of redundancy
- Mediation training at Incommunities Housing Trust [84kb] - Acas provided mediation plus training for establishing in-house mediation arrangements to a housing trust that was experiencing high numbers of employee grievances.
Earlier case studies
- Workplace training at Co-operative Retail Logistics: Improving attendance management & workforce engagement (2008) [58kb]
- A workplace project at Lothian Buses plc: Tackling attendance management and discipline (2004) [157kb].
Bullying and Harassment
- Workplace training at Swale PCT: Managing absence, bullying and harassment, and equality and diversity (2006) [295kb]
- A workplace project and training at the Mersey Regional Ambulance Service NHS Trust: Tackling bullying and harassment (2003) [124kb].
Consultation and Communication
Discipline and grievances
- Workplace training at Patak's: A joint working approach to training line managers and supervisors (2004) [173kb].
- A workplace project at Aslam Interiors: Establishing employment policies in an SME (2005) [390kb]
- A workplace project and training at The Pensions Trust: Equality and diversity (2005) [318kb]
- Workplace training at the Metropolitan Housing Partnership: Delivering a programme of diversity training (2005) [115kb]
- Workplace training at the Yorkshire and Humber Assembly: A joint working approach to implementing a diversity strategy (2005) [201kb].
- A workplace project at the UK Passport Service: Improving partnership and consultation (2004) [120kb]
- A workplace project at Johnson Matthey: Building partnership and assisting change (2003) [130kb].
'Acas in the NHS' - A series of 5 case studies aimed at evaluating the impact of Acas interventions in five NHS Trusts
- A workplace project at Basildon PCT: Building employee involvement and partnership (2005) [155kb]
- A workplace project at Craven and Harrogate PCT: Improving consultation, negotiation, and workplace relations (2005) [120kb]
- A workplace project at Essex Ambulance Service NHS Trust: Improving consultation and working patterns (2005) [121kb]
- A workplace project at North Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Trust: Building positive consultation and co-operative working (2005) [120kb]
- A workplace project at Wolverhampton City PCT: How Acas helped get partnership 'back on track' (2005) [120kb].