- Outline of a job description [31kb] - it's a simple outline of the main headings, including the role's main duties and who the employee will report to.
- Job descriptions - two examples [30kb] - two examples. One is for a clerical assistant; the other for a warehouse worker.
- Person specification [31kb] - a breakdown of the attributes the employer is looking for and whether they should be essential or desirable.
Job application forms
- Job application form - option 1 [31kb] - a form covering the basics.
- Job application form - option 2 [34kb] - a longer form asking for more details of skills and experience.
- Equality and diversity monitoring form template [38kb] - the confidential form to help build up a picture of who is applying to join the organisation, and to help the employer encourage equality and diversity. The form is to go out with the job application form, but to be returned separately. Employers must consider equality and diversity issues when hiring staff, read fuller Acas guidance here on Equality and discrimination.
Written Statement of Employment
- Written Statement of Employment [53kb] - framework for the terms and conditions of employment an employer must give an employee within two months of them starting the job.
Recruiting the best candidate
- Outline of a recruitment checklist [72kb] - overview of the steps to follow in recruiting the applicant who should prove to be the correct choice.
Job offer letters
- Outline of a job offer letter - option 1 [28kb] - a short covering letter referring to an important attached document, a Written Statement of Terms and Conditions of Employment, which goes out with the letter.
- Outline of a job offer letter - option 2 [34kb] - a longer letter giving the basics of the job's terms and conditions of employment. It is drafted on the basis the full Written Statement of Terms and Conditions of Employment will follow within two months of the successful applicant starting work.
- Outline of a pre-employment checklist [51kb] - a brief overview of basic pre-employment checks on a shortlisted job candidate or the applicant offered the post. The check on the right to work in the UK is a legal requirement.
Starting the new employee
- Outline of a job induction checklist [75kb] - the details you need to run through with a new starter, including who's who in the company, understanding the job and company rules.
Note: The samples for letters, forms and checklists are here to help you, but users must take full responsibility for the content they send out.
Further guidance, support and resources
If, after looking at these templates, you feel you need additional help on hiring staff, Acas has other free guidance you can download.
You can also use and share free Acas e-learning
And if you would benefit from further support please see Recruitment and Retention: how Acas can help
Alternatively you can call the Acas Helpline.