- Job description [31kb] - it's a simple outline of the main headings, including the role's main duties and who the employee will report to.
- Job descriptions - two examples [30kb] - two examples. One is for a clerical assistant; the other for a warehouse worker.
- Person specification [37kb] - a breakdown of the attributes the employer is looking for and whether they should be essential or desirable.
Job application forms
- Job application form 1 [43kb] - a form covering the basics.
- Job application form 2 [39kb] - a longer form asking for more details of skills and experience.
Equal opportunities monitoring
- Sex, ethnic origin and religion monitoring form [53kb] - the confidential form to go out with the job application form, but to be returned separately.
Written Statement of Employment
- Written Statement of Employment [55kb] - framework for the terms and conditions of employment an employer must give an employee within two months of them starting the job.
Settling in the new employee
- Induction checklist [106kb] - the details you need to run through with a new starter, including who's who in the company, understanding the job and company rules.
Note: The samples for letters, forms and checklists are here to help you, but users must take full responsibility for the content they send out.
If, after looking at these templates, you feel you need additional help on hiring staff, Acas has other free guidance you can download.
- Advisory booklet - Recruitment and induction
- Advisory booklet - Flexible working and work-life balance
- Advice leaflet - The right to apply for flexible working (for requests made before 30 June 2014)
- Advice leaflet - Varying a contract of employment
- Age and the workplace: a guide for employers and employees [336kb]
- The Equality Act 2010 – guidance for employers [221kb]
Alternatively you can call the Acas Helpline on 0300 123 1100.