Going to the workplace during coronavirus (COVID-19)

People at high risk from COVID-19

People who are at high risk of serious illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) must follow the same guidance as everyone else and think particularly carefully about additional precautions they might wish to take.

People at high risk will have been identified and contacted by the NHS. They may be referred to as being 'clinically extremely vulnerable'.

Their employer must also take extra steps to keep them safe, for example by:

  • looking at ways to support their work, for example allowing them to work from home where possible
  • providing extra safety measures at their workplace

Read the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance on protecting vulnerable workers

If someone's been shielding

People at high risk may have been shielding during the COVID-19 pandemic. This means they will have stayed at home rather than go out to work.

The government stopped advising people to shield in April 2021, but those at high risk should still take extra steps to stay safe.

Check the latest government guidelines for:

When someone at high risk returns to work

If working from home is not possible and the workplace is open, the person at high risk and their employer should talk as early as possible about:

If a doctor says someone should stay at home

A doctor may still advise someone who's at high risk to stay at home, even though shielding has stopped. For this situation, check your organisation's:

The employer should talk with them to understand the issue and see how they can support them. The employer should also consider if they can continue or start working from home.

If an employee lives with someone who's at high risk

In England, employers can still consider working from home for people who live with someone who's at high risk. In Scotland, you should work from home where possible. In Wales, by law you must work from home unless there is a reasonable excuse not to.

If you live with someone at high risk and have any concerns, you should talk with your employer.

Last reviewed