You must give your employer proof to get adoption pay.
You do not have to provide proof of the adoption or placement to get adoption leave, unless your employer asks for it.
For UK adoptions, the proof must show:
- your name and address
- the name and address of the agency
- the date you were matched with the child
- the expected date of placement
For overseas adoptions, the proof must show the:
- relevant UK authority’s ‘official notification’ confirming the parent is allowed to adopt
- date the child arrived in the UK, for example a plane ticket
If you’re fostering to adopt
If you’re fostering to adopt, you must give your employer evidence of a placement (for example, a letter from the adoption agency).