Furlough and the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Claiming through HMRC's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

For an employer to claim through the scheme, they must:

  • have created and started a PAYE payroll scheme on or before 30 October 2020
  • have enrolled for PAYE Online on GOV.UK
  • have a UK bank account
  • be making a claim for each furloughed employee or worker for a minimum of 7 days in a calendar month

The furloughed employee or worker must have been on their PAYE payroll and included in a 'Real Time Information' (RTI) submission to HMRC on or before 30 October 2020.

Extension of the furlough scheme

The furlough scheme has been extended until 30 April 2021.

From 1 November 2020 to 30 April 2021:

  • the government will pay 80% of wages, capped at £2,500 each month
  • employers must continue to pay any employer National Insurance (NI) and pension contributions

More financial support for employers

Employers may be able to get financial support through other government schemes.

Acas is not able to advise on these schemes.

Regional support during workplace closures

There may be help for businesses that must close due to local or national lockdown restrictions in England, Scotland and Wales.

To find out more about regional support:

Support for businesses in England during the national lockdown

Businesses in England in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors may be eligible to receive a one-off lockdown grant worth up to £9,000. This is to help businesses through to spring 2021. 

Find out more about lockdown grants in England on GOV.UK.

Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme

If employers need short-term cash flow support, they may be eligible for a 'Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan'.

The scheme helps small and medium-sized businesses to access loans and other kinds of finance up to £5 million. The government guarantees 80% of the finance to the lender and pays interest and any fees for the first 12 months. The scheme has been extended to 31 March 2021.

Find out more on GOV.UK about:

Financial support if you're self-employed

You may be able to get financial support through HMRC's 'Self-Employment Income Support Scheme'.

Acas is not able to advise on this scheme.

Find out more about the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme on GOV.UK.

Last reviewed