Website URL : http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4220
Recruiting an employee: A step-by-step guide
Recruiting an employee - Step 3
Advertise and sift the applications
- When it comes to advertising you will want to get the best person for the least cost. But you don't want to choose from too narrow a pool. Pick at least two recruitment methods from:
- local schools or colleges
- employment agencies
- local newspapers
- online recruitment, including job websites and social media.
- Use an application form to get the information you need and sift out unsuitable candidates. You can also use it as a basis for the interview. The form should only ask for information relevant to the job.
- As well as sending applicants the application form, also send them:
- the job description
- person specification.
- Sift the candidates who best match the job description and person specification. Ideally, this should be done by two or more people to avoid unintended bias.
But, of course, that is not always possible in a small business, so you may have to do it on your own.