Settling in a new employee: A step-by-step guide
Settling in a new employee - Step 2
Their first day
First impressions do count, so don't forget the warm welcome.
- Give the new employee and all involved in conducting the induction a copy of the checklist so they can keep track of what has been covered and by whom.
- Also, make sure the new starter's documents are all in hand - National Insurance number, P45 etc.
- Tell them about your business.
- Who's who and
- How the business works, its aims and plans for the future.
- Introduce them to the head of the business, the manager and colleagues in their team, and other managers and staff they may have less contact with.
Putting a name to a face
The new employee will want to avoid being rude by forgetting names, so make it easy for them. Give them an aide memoir with job titles, names, phone numbers, email addresses and photos.