Acas support for Central Government organisations undergoing change
The Civil Service, related central government organisations and their employees are going through a challenging period as the changes brought about by the current government's measures to reduce the national budget deficit are implemented. Many of the savings required to bridge the funding gap will inevitably be made through reducing employee numbers and restructuring organisations.
As an authority on change management and employment relations, we are in a position to offer not only a range of services that can help you through difficult times but also an appreciation of central government organisations and the challenges they face. We are a non-departmental public body ourselves and Acas employees are civil servants which places us in a unique position to help you implement change.
Why call Acas?
You can trust Acas. We have over 35 years experience in helping organisations reach long lasting solutions to employment relations issues. You can talk to us in complete confidence and we will help you and the workforce find practical solutions. You don't have to be in dispute. An Acas Senior Adviser with both national and local knowledge can act as a sounding board and offer a practical, impartial view to help prevent issues escalating. Our approach is to help you find workable solutions for you and the workforce. We can show you what has worked elsewhere and the pros and cons of different approaches gained from extensive experience working with government departments and bodies throughout the country.
If you are in dispute , we can work with you to resolve the differences but we do not impose decisions on you. You always stay in control.
Just some of the areas we can help with:
- Resolving individual rights issues before they become employment tribunal claims (pre-claim conciliation)
- Managing change - e.g. of working patterns and hours
- Consultation, negotiation and working with trade unions
- Employee engagement - managing and enhancing service delivery in difficult times
- Equipping line managers to handle difficult conversations
- Managing staff redundancy programmes
- Considering alternatives to redundancy
- Mergers and integrating groups of employees
- TUPE transfers
- Reducing stress and absenteeism in the workplace
- Introducing fairness at work policies and procedures to avoid bullying, harassment and stress
- Stress audits
- Equality monitoring and impact assessments
- Reducing conflict in the workplace
- Improving mediation skills
- Contracts and terms and conditions
- Varying contracts.
Employee Engagement and the Cabinet Office People Survey
Acas is also the preferred provider of support to departments and their employee representatives in taking forward findings from the recent Civil Service People Survey carried out in September 2010. Our advisers can work with you and your employee representatives to develop and implement an action plan based on your results. Our own Employee Engagement Index increased at the recent survey and advisers can draw on this experience as well as their extensive understanding of how to keep a workforce engaged even in difficult times.
Case studies and examples
Please visit the Acas case study webpage for examples of our work and full case studies.
Contact the Acas Customer Services Team on 0300 123 1150 or complete an online enquiry form to arrange to talk to a local Acas adviser.