Disabled People's Involvement Forum
Acas, the leading organisation for employment relations advice in Britain, are looking for disabled people to help them review their activities to ensure they comply with Disability legislation.
We are looking for volunteers to join our Disabled People's Involvement Forum where you will gain an opportunity to become a 'critical friend' to Acas, acting in an informal advisory capacity to the organisation that advises workplaces on issues surrounding equality and diversity.
We are seeking six highly committed disabled people, from a wide range of perspectives and impairment groups, to assist them on a part-time voluntary basis.
Acas aims to improve organisations and working life through better employment relations. We provide up-to-date information, independent advice, high quality training and we work with employers and employees to solve problems and improve performance.
The Candidates will:
- Be a disabled person
- Have a deep understanding of the barriers disabled people face in the workplace
- Understand and be able to benchmark the Social Model of Disability for disability equality issues
- Be able to explain the Disability Discrimination Act and how it affects employers and disabled employees
- Have experience of representing disabled people's issues in a work or voluntary role within Trade Unions; Business, Public and Third Sectors; or an Education and Academia setting.
- Attend up to three meetings during a one year period. An attendance allowance of £180 plus expenses will be paid for each meeting
- You will need to prepare for meetings beforehand and come to them ready to offer feedback and advice on issues raised by Acas with regard to the employment of disabled people.
- We would like you to respond to reasonable requests for opinion, advice and information sent electronically wherever possible.
- Role description and person specification [35kb]
- Guidance notes for applicants [45kb]
- Application form [48kb].
The application information is available in alternative formats, including Braille, audio and large print. Please contact Anna Case to request an alternative format.
For an application pack and further information, contact Anna Case on 020 7619 7763 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org or 6 Market Road, London, N7 9PW
- The closing date for applications is 16 June 2008
- Interviews will be held week commencing 30 June 2008