- Appraisal form for manual workers [77kb] - a detailed framework.
- Appraisal form based on job objectives [60kb] - example of a detailed framework for measuring job performance against specific job objectives.
- Appraisal form for earmarking potential for promotion [37kb] - for recording and assessing an employee's suitability as a candidate for future promotion.
- Self-appraisal form [44kb] - this can be used by an employee to summarise their thoughts on their performance ahead of the appraisal meeting with their manager.
- Appraisal questionnaire [48kb] - for managers to find out what employees think of their employer's appraisal process, and how they rate the effectiveness of their own appraisal.
Absence and personal records
- Absence record sheet [170kb] - for listing and assessing an employee's instances of absence from work and lateness for work, and highlighting any patterns of behaviour.
- Employment history form 1 [51kb] - covering the basics from job titles to rates of pay.
- Employment history form 2 [113kb] - a detailed form for recording a summary of basics from their application form and for keeping their employment record with you up to date, including details regarding discipline, absence, lateness and any accidents at work.
- Letter to an employee’s GP [41kb] - a very detailed letter from a manager at the employer asking about the likely cause of the employee's absence, outlining the nature of the employee's work, asking for a likely date for a return to work and whether the employer should be making reasonable adjustments to accommodate the employee's medical condition or disability.
- The make-up of your labour force [100kb] - for assessing how many of your staff are skilled, semi-skilled, full-time or part-time, a breakdown of wage costs, and trends in staff leaving and new starters.
- Analysis of staff turnover [74kb] - for highlighting trends among staff who choose to leave, those dismissed and those made redundant.
- Information health check [86kb] - a 12-point questionnaire for assessing how well, or not, you communicate and consult with your staff, and how well they share ideas with you.
Note: The samples for letters, forms and checklists are here to help you, but users must take full responsibility for the content they send out.
If, after looking at these templates, you feel you need additional help on managing staff, Acas has other free guidance you can download.
- Advisory booklet - How to manage performance
- Advice leaflet - Managing performance for small firms
- Advisory booklet - Managing attendance and employee turnover
- Advisory booklet - Employee communications and consultation
- Getting it right factsheets - how to manage performance [96kb]
- Getting it right factsheet - Tackling absence problems [153kb]
- Getting it right factsheet - Communicating with your employees [63kb]
Alternatively you can call the Acas Helpline on 08457 47 47 47.